Friday, June 17, 2011

Exploring Paint






Loving painting the way I do I assumed that I would LOVE all kinds of paint, boy I was wrong! Today I volunteered my time and services to an organization that is putting together a kids science museum in State College. They are starting everything from scratch so this morning when I went for mural painting (as per the ad) I was met by a huge empty room and a driven, eager group of people with shirts rolled up and ready to get dirty. I was then handed sand paper, a cloth and a step ladder and a wall. I spent close to 2 hours sanding the wall then was handed a rollermabob, a pan of paint and a brush. Excited to finally be painting I set off on my merry way to do what I love but to my horror wall paint defies all paint logic and any theories on the subject. The rollythingy took off more paint than it put on and so did the brush. Anyway I eventually got shown that i need to paint in a X so that I don't get the splotchy effect that I had become famed for, it started flowing a little faster and I kinda sorto enjoyed myself. Except for the couple of blisters and callouses I loved the experience of doing something practical with my art and hope that the experience seeps into my paintings making my work of better quality and technique. I will be going back to help with the second coat of paint and hopefully get involved in the mural work which I will post here. Projects like this one are encouraging and have pumped me with creative steroids (not actual steroids, stay in school don't do drugs) Anyway that's my bit for the day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment